If it has to do with learning dressage,
we can help…
Let’s start here (check all that apply). I’m here because:
- I happen to like my horse and want him to be treated well in his training
- I want to actually do the training myself and UNDERSTAND how it all works together
- I know that to progress in my riding, I have to work on myself first
- I don’t have access to any trainers I would even want to ride with
- I like to learn more about dressage to support my regular training
If any or all of the above apply, you’re in the right place. 🙂
This is Ritter Dressage
...the collaborative mind-body-spirit project of Thomas and Shana Ritter. We are lifelong dressage trainers who have seen all that is good and bad within dressage. We have worked with thousands of horses and riders and have learned many invaluable lessons along the way. And we want to share these with you.
Times are a-changing...
And so is how you learn dressage.
We have left behind the traditional paradigm of authority-based teaching to develop a system of collaborating WITH our students in the training of their horses.
We want YOU to be in charge.
We want to support YOUR relationship with YOUR horse. We want YOU to hold the reins (literally and figuratively)! We want you to feel empowered and supported in your dressage education. And we want you to develop the knowledge-base and confidence to trust yourself and your intuition as you take on more and more of the responsibility for training your own horse yourself.
We have developed a system of training the horse based on biomechanics which distills down the truths handed down through the ages but puts it together in a way which makes sense for you, the modern rider, in straight-forward language, providing both the why and how, so that:
- you understand WHAT you are trying to do
- you understand WHY you are doing something
- you understand HOW to achieve it
- you understand the difference between symptoms and causes - you know which ones to address directly and which ones will go away on their own when you fix deeper issues
- you understand WHAT tools you can use to address specific issues
- you understand HOW to select an exercise that will benefit your horse and how to do it
- you understand HOW to determine if an exercise is effective or not
- you understand WHAT to do to modify or change an exercise to make it more effective
- you understand HOW to guide the horse’s understanding through that process so not only does the horse engage in the process, but he even enjoys it and feels respected as a collaborating partner.
Like you, we don’t like the version of dressage that is most often offered up for public consumption. It is, in many cases, sadly not ethical to the horse.
And, even if it were, it is just not accessible for the average rider, with the average horse, and the average bank account.
Is that what dressage is supposed to be about? Well, for us it wasn’t.
What brought you to riding and dressage in the first place? THAT is what should keep you in it now, too.
The way we see it, we can all either sit around and complain that we don’t like what we see going on. Or we can do something about it by creating the CHANGE we wish to see.
Like Mahatma Gandhi said, “Be the change you wish to see in the world.”
Your authentic journey
You will NOT become a cookie-cutter of us. And we do not want that, because you are not us.
We became who we have become as a result of this process. And we share this process with you. We share the TRUTHS we learned along the way.
We became (and are continuing to become, because the process is wonderful and it is never finished) the version of ourselves as riders and human beings as a result of introspective work to realign our values with our work. What resulted is a reflection of our OWN vision.
What result YOU get will be a reflection of YOUR own vision. A vision that is bravely and uniquely yours.
Be reassured! Just because your outcome will be like no one else’s that does not mean that you are alone. This is a revolution. You are not the only one going on this path. There are many like you who are questioning the old paradigm and desperately want a better way. There are many like you who are not just sitting on the sidelines complaining about what they don’t like going on, and instead they are putting all of their energy in a positive direction to actually create change by first creating change within themselves. By being the change they wish to see in the world. One person at a time. Together.
Let's do this!
This is a great place to start:
- Two books already in print - Dressage Principles based on Biomechanics and Longreining: From the Beginning through the Levade
- A third book due to be released in early 2017: Training the Flying Changes: A step-by-step guide for any horse or rider
- The Arena GPS: a series of ebooks providing you with a library of exercises you can access anytime, anywhere.
- DVD: Ecke Gut, Alles Gut
Location is no longer an obstacle.
From anywhere in the world, you can enroll in our online coaching courses. Learn through video instruction, diagrams and graphic illustration, conference calls, and community support. Giving you the nuts and bolts to show in detail exactly what to do, why, when, how to do it, and what to do if things go wrong. Breaking it all down into simple, easy-to-understand instruction.
One-on-one personalized support for you, your horse, and your situation.
- Help working through a problem or breaking through to the next level.
- Advice for troubleshooting
- Support to get your training established
- Fine polishing your current work
- Mindset and strategic coaching